What do I need to pack to be Volunteer during El Camino?
First of all is not the same thing walking any of the trails or routes than the volunteer action in El Camino. For the first purpose, we recommend to visit the recommendations from the official Way of St. James . What to pack shall depend on the kilometres you wish to cover, the days you will have for the Camino. Take just the basics, you can wash your clothes at hostels and other places. And please, notice, the total weight of your pack (you bag) shouldn’t be up to 10% of your personal weight.
Since you will be participating in the Red Leaf Volunteer Program, you will be staying in a hostel (as in Spain is called Albergue) and you can count on the support and assistance of the hostel staff. So, what do you need to pack for this amazing experience? The time of year you are volunteering will be a factor, but the you will need these essentials no matter what time of year:
Essentials or Necessities to pack to be a volunteer during El Camino
- Your Passport - keep it safe at all times.
- You medical insurance (provided by Red Leaf prior to your departure)
- The hostels don’t provide bed sheets (only a mattress cover). You need a sleeping bag or your own bedding and blankets.
- A pillow.
- Sun cream
- Bug spray
- Water bottle
- Flashlight and batteries
- Raincoat (rain very common all the year long in Galicia)
- Warm Jacket / sweater
- Trousers / pants and long-sleeved shirts for the cool nights.
- T-shirts and shorts for the warm days
- Underwear and socks
- Flip flops for using the showers
- Running or hiking shoes. Never bring new shoes, always bring comfortable, worn shoes.
- Sun glasses
If you are taking any kind of medication you must bring enough with you for your whole stay.
You will be able to buy supplies in the town you are located.
If you have any other questions about what to carry and pack, please, let us know!